Why should you eat after a workout?
Perhaps not everyone knows the importance of eating after exercise, so let’s nutrition highlight the main advantages of this mode. Thanks to the intake of nutrients in the body, the exhaustion of muscles is prevented. It is known that during training, muscles appear in the muscles, and food is needed for their regeneration.
The rate of protein synthesis and its transport to muscle cells also increases. After active physical activity, the body absorbs incoming substances with a double force.
Before proceeding with specific recommendations on nutrition, let’s look at a few myths and find out if there is any truth in them.
Myths or not?
- After exercise, food intake must contain proteins and carbohydrates. Many scientific studies confirm that, after training, the body is much faster and better absorbs nutrients. But this does not mean that it is necessary to include carbohydrate components in the diet. To introduce them or not depends on the purpose of the trainings. If you want to lose weight, you need to concentrate on proteins.
- It does not matter what protein foods to eat. It is a myth. It is very important to use fast digestible proteins. Therefore, you should avoid the intake of cottage cheese, yogurt and casein. It is better to choose eggs, chicken breast or low-fat fish. Also suitable for special sports nutrition.
- Fats are prohibited after training. This is true. Fats slow the absorption of nutrients after physical exertion.
- Necessarily need to eat sports nutrition with glutamine. This is highly recommended, but is not a prerequisite. This is due to a decrease in the level of glutamine after the load, and to begin recovery, the body will take it from the muscle fibers, and this is not good. Therefore, it is better to ensure its entry into the body from external sources.
- The duration of the protein-carbohydrate window is 1-3 hours. It is a myth. According to the latest research by American scientists, the window lasts up to 24 hours, and in some cases reaches 48. This means that you can consume protein foods and supplements within a day or two, and your muscles will grow heavily, and fat will be burned, thanks to the elevated level protein synthesis.
- The maximum level of protein synthesis can be obtained by taking a protein cocktail immediately after physical activity. It is a myth. Such a scheme reduces the synthesis rate by 35 percent, for best effect, it is necessary to postpone reception for 15-30 minutes.
When deciding on nutrition after exercise, it is necessary to consider the types of training and goals set for the bodybuilder. Let us consider each of them in detail.
Feeding for weight gain
Strength training is provided for muscle growth and weight gain. During their implementation, there is a consumption of glycogen, so it is necessary to fill it.
There is a need not earlier than 30-50 nutrition minutes after the end of classes, and the meal should be nutritious, and not an easy snack. It is thanks to rational nutrition after exercise exercises that the muscle fibers will increase their volume. If you ignore the intake of food, the body will begin to spend energy from the muscles, exhausting them.
What is better to eat? The most suitable option is food rich in carbohydrates, proteins and fiber. Carbohydrates should be chosen easily digestible with a high glycemic index – porridges with buckwheat, pearl oatmeal, millet, rice cereals, macaroni from durum wheat, bran bread, bananas.
Proteins are better for consuming animal origin with products such as chicken, eggs, fish and beef. The source of fiber for food after sports should be cucumbers, tomatoes or cabbage. Avoid refueling and fatty foods, because, as already mentioned, they slow down the digestion and absorption of nutrients.
It is also very important after training to avoid the use of caffeinated foods and drinks, they can not be eaten, because they inhibit the functionality of insulin, because of which glycogen in the body is not restored.
It should also be noted that the general rule for mass recruitment is that the nutrition number of calories consumed must exceed the amount spent. It is also important to monitor the amount of proteins, because the less it is in one serving, the better it is to digest. Therefore, it is better to divide the daily rate by an equal number in five to six receptions.
Important is also its combination with carbohydrates for muscle mass after training, because to restore the energy spent the body will take carbohydrates, allowing the proteins to perform their basic function for musculature – building.
You can not also ignore the time of the exercise and the type of athlete’s physique. For each type of figure, the recommendations above are relevant for classes in the first half of the day (up to 3 hours). If you are engaged in the gym in the evening and you have an endomorphic physique (a large percentage of fat in the body and a tendency to fullness), you need to limit the intake of carbohydrates, or at all refuse them for dinner.
Nutrition for weight loss
For those who want to lose those extra pounds, the rules of nutrition are different. Food can be consumed half an hour after exercise, and protein portions should predominate. For this purpose, cottage cheese with a low percentage of fat, fish, chicken and eggs is perfect.
You can supplement with foods high nutrition in fiber, for example, a vegetable salad. The main rule for losing weight is the exclusion of carbohydrates, because when they get into the body, they begin to be the first to convert into energy. At the same time disintegration of fatty deposits ceases, and they are restored again in tissues.
A full meal with complex carbohydrates can be done in two hours. In general, the longer you avoid carbohydrates in a plate after classes, the longer the fat layer will be burned.
If you train in the afternoon (after four hours), then the second meal should also exclude carbohydrates. After all, the body will not have time to squander all the energy received from them to sleep, and all the excess will be deposited in the form of extra kilograms.
There are also special rules for cardio workouts to lose weight. To actively burn fat during training, it is necessary that the body has a low level of glycogen. This happens in the morning, after awakening, and also after strength training.
Also, you can not eat two or three hours before classes and prepare your body for cardio loads. After training, you can consume only protein foods, preferably protein shakes in 40-50 minutes. Carbohydrates nutrition and fiber should be included in the diet no earlier than two to three hours.
- The meal time after the training should be from 30 minutes to an hour. If you have to get to the house after the gym for a long time, you need to bring your lunchbox with the right products.
- Focus on the characteristics of your body. All the recommendations given in the article are useful, but they can work for each person in different ways. Make up your diet based on your own feelings, body constitution and goals. Also, keep in mind your schedule and the nutrition time you spend playing sports.
- Correct count calories. In no case can not starve yourself for weight loss, but you can not greatly increase the total caloric value. Otherwise instead of muscles you can build up only excess fat. Carefully calculate the energy value of the products and the nutrient composition.
- Do not forget about water and maintaining electrolyte balance in the body. During physical activity, a person sweats actively, while sodium and potassium are washed away. Because of their deficit, the athlete quickly becomes tired and does not absorb the full-fledged food properly. Therefore, drink nutrition during exercise and make up for lost fluid after.
- Limit the use of alcohol. Alcoholic drinks increase the rate of depletion of muscle fibers and slow the recovery of glycogen levels in the body.